Carolinas HealthCare System
Job Req ID: 191769
Position Number: 00153308
Employment Type: Full Time
Shift Details: Days
Standard Hours:Â 40.00
Department Name: Wound Ostomy Care Team
Location: Carolinas Medical Center
Location Details:Â Atrium Health's CMC
Carolinas HealthCare System is Atrium Health. Our mission remains the same: to improve health, elevate hope and advance healing - for all. The name Atrium Health allows us to grow beyond our current walls and geographical borders to impact as many lives as possible and deliver solutions that help communities thrive. For more information, please visit carolinashealthcare.org/AtriumHealth
Â Job Summary
Serves as the clinical resource and consultant for the acute and rehabilitative care of patients with selected disorders of the gastrointestinal, genitourinary, and integumentary systems. Provides specialty care for patients with acute and chronic wounds, standard and continent diversions, and fecal and urinary incontinence. Essential Functions
- Utilizes the nursing process to assess and plan care and education for ostomy and wound care patients.
- Assesses patient care needs and identifies interventions for treatment/prevention of skin related conditions and ostomies
- Performs and/or assists with stomal marking preoperatively, patient/family teaching, follow-up care, and discharge planning.
- Follows patients identified to be at moderate to high risk for skin breakdown and patients with complex wound management needs.
- Collaborates with medical teammates to identify care measures to prevent and treat pressure ulcers and complex wounds and fistulae.
- Works in concert with the medical staff in the use and application of clinical devices/support surfaces for prevention and treatment of pressure ulcers
- Conducts ongoing evaluation of patients referred for WOC services to include effectiveness of interventions.
- Develops and maintains evidence based practice guidelines for care of the ostomy and skin care patients.
Work requires walking, standing, sitting, lifting, reaching, stooping, bending, pushing, and pulling. Must be able to lift and support the weight of 35 pounds in handling patients, medical equipment, and supplies. Must speak English in good understandable terms. Intact sense of sight, hearing, smell, and touch. Finger dexterity. Critical thinking and ability to concentrate. Must be able to respond quickly to changes in patient and/or unit conditions. Physical Abilities Testing required. Additional department specific physical requirements may be identified for unique responsibilities within the department by the nurse leader. Education, Experience and Certifications
Graduate from an accredited School of Nursing. Current RN license or temporary license as a Registered Nurse Petitioner in the state in which you work and reside or; if declaring a National License Compact (NLC) state as your primary state of residency, meet the licensure requirements in your home state; or for Non-National License Compact states, current RN license or temporary license as a Registered Nurse Petitioner required in the state where the RN works. Baccalaureate degree required, MSN preferred. Graduate of a WOCN-accredited education program preferred. Wound and Ostomy certification required within 2 years of hire. Continence certification optional. Three to five years recent, relevant direct care nursing experience required. Current Basic Life Support for Healthcare Provider status according to American Heart Association. Additional education, training, certifications, or experience may be required within the department by the nurse leader.
At Atrium Health, formerly Carolinas HealthCare System, our patients, communities and teammates are at the center of everything we do. Our commitment to diversity and inclusion allows us to deliver care that is superior in quality and compassion across our network of more than 900 care locations.
As a leading, innovative health system, we promote an environment where differences are valued and integrated into our workforce. Our culture of inclusion and cultural competence allows us to achieve our goals and deliver the best possible experience to patients and the communities we serve.
Posting Notes: Not Applicable
Carolinas HealthCare System is an EOE/AA Employer