UNC Health Care
Peer Support Specialist needed for Behavioral Health Emergency Department
As part of a multi-disciplinary team, the Peer Support Specialist (PSS)will help identify patients with opioid and substance use disorders. The PSS will interact with identified patients to engage them, assist with developing self-help, crisis /coping and social skillsas well asconnect them to treatment resources in the community. The PSS will be based in the emergency department but may need to interact with patients in the community to support patients through the first steps of treatment.
This is a grant funded position presently to end 8/31/19.
Hours: 40 hours/week; rotating every third weekend
Shift: 11am-9:30pm but may varywith the needs of the patients
Days of the week: Rotating with other peers working in this program
Requires High School diploma or GED. Certified NC Peer Support Specialist. Past or present consumer of mental health or substance abuse services with a history of managing one's own illness. Employee must have three full years without crisis, relapse, psychiatric in-patient treatment or criminal involvement and completed WRAP (Wellness Recovery Action Plan) or equivalent training.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required are:
1. Knowledge of the recovery process
2. Ability to facilitate recovery using established standardized mental health processes
3. Knowledge and skill to teach and engage in basic problems solving strategies to support clients in self-directed recovery
4. Ability to work well with others
5. Familiarity with local community resources
6. Ability to maintain confidentiality
7. Ability to work in collaboration with treatment staff